Friday, February 19, 2010

Art Gallery Walls

I love art gallery walls -here's some inspirational photos and I've followed that up with my recently completed art gallery wall and some tips for making your own.



You can do it symmetrically....



or assymmetrically.....

Samatha Pinn did this one for a client. It has a sharp pop of colour that ties in with the throw pillow and side table.

A more subdued approach.

This display has a bit of everything - black & white photograpy, colour photography and modern art.

This is a more casual way to display your art and it would be easy to move it around and change it as desired.




Interesting display for a kitchen nook.




I love this idea for displaying Grandma's old china that may be too delicate or damaged to use.



This one is over the top it is Andrew Pike's hallway. I would hate to have to dust all those frames...
This display helps to break up the dark walls and is very symmetrical and traditional.

Since I love taking photos especially while on vacation I did my own gallery wall with vacation shots and here is how mine turned out!

As you can see I used all dark frames with either black or white matting and all black & white photography. I like that the wooden angel wings break up the frames and keep it interesting.
Here some tips for doing up your own gallery wall.
1. Arrange the pieces you want to use on the floor in front of the wall where you would like to hang them. I like to start with the largest one somewhat in the middle and then place the smaller pieces around it.
2. Try to keep the spacing between each frame consistent as this makes it look more professional.
3. You don’t have to use the same kind of frame but some consistency of frame or matte colour helps to keep the group unified. Some consistency of subject matter helps as well – either all black & white, sepia tones or colour. Adding some different shaped frames or other items adds some interest to the display.
4. Move them around until you are pleased with the results.
5. Once you are satisfied, cut out kraft paper or newspaper the same size as the frames and use painters tape to adhere them to the wall. Measure the distance from the top and sides of the frame to the hook and mark this measurement on the paper.
6.Hammer in your hook, nail, etc… and repeat for all the frames.

I believe that every space can be comfortable, warm, elegant and beautiful. I would love to help you achieve your beautiful space – email me at lisa@lisagouletdesign.com or if in the Ottawa area call me at 613-762-0818.



All photos (except last one) are from the Canadian House & Home website and the Style at Home website.

No comments:

Post a Comment