Sunday, August 22, 2010

IT’S DONE, DONE, DONE..….

The dresser that I purchased from Kijiji last April has finally been finished.  I can’t believe how long it took to get it finished but you’ll find out why once you read the rest of this post.  I originally blogged about the dresser here and I thought I would get it done so quickly back then…..
Here’s what it looked like in it’s original home:

Dresser
Since the dresser was for my daughter’s room and her walls are painted in Benjamin Moore’s Pink Raspberry 2075-40 and Pale Daffodil  2017-60 we decided to go fairly neutral with the dresser and used Benjamin Moore’s Alabaster OC-129. 

Then we, but really I mean “I” sanded down the dresser, primed and painted it.  I used Benjamin Moore’s Fresh Start to prime it and then gave it three coats of the Alabaster to ensure it was a good strong finish.  I used a foam brush and roller – I have to look into a paint sprayer – must talk to Donna of dh Designs about that!! 

I then remembered a Celtic knot stencil I had bought awhile back for some project and never used and I thought It would be the perfect finishing touch.  We decided to use black paint to tie in the other black items she has in her room.  Here’s a picture of the drawers after my daughter stencilled them, she liked doing that part…

IMG_1087
Then I was on the hunt for crystal knobs for the middle drawers and black handles for the outer ones.  Well, after much looking around I found these ones on Ebay for the fabulous price of $16.00 including shipping for SIX!!! WOOHOO!!
knobs
And then I got these black handles at Lee Valley Hardware.

IMG_1097
So I thought that would be all it took to renew this fab dresser but unfortunately – I wasn’t quite done.  After we put the drawers in we realized that the dresser was bowed in the middle –  we thought it was probably due to the fact that it is very long and only has four legs – two on each side and no support what so ever in the middle.  :(

Anyways, hubby to the rescue  - he suggested that we replace the back of the dresser as the original piece of wood was split and damaged and he thought that may be were the problem was originating. 

So off he went to the Home Depot and came back with a nice new piece of plywood and after screwing it in place the dresser was level and

TA DA!!!


the problem was fixed!!!


So here’s the afters FINALLY!!!

IMG_1460

And a close up:
IMG_1459

See how nice and straight it is and all the drawers close nicely now. 

The black handles and the Celtic knot stencil with the crystal knobs on the middle drawers work very well with the black bed frame and mirrors and give the dresser some interest. 

Dear daughter is very happy with it and she has already filled all the drawers and dear Mom is so happy to not see clothes all over the floor and bed…

So a happy ending after all – so the moral of this post is when you are purchasing a used dresser ensure that it is level and not sagging in the middle or you may have to do a little more work than you anticipated…..


Pic_for_Body_of_Blog3 I am linking up this transformation to Metamorphosis Monday’s at Between Naps on the Porch.  Thanks for taking the time to check out my makeover and please don’t forget to stop over at Pat’s blog to see what everyone else has been up to!

I believe that every space can be comfortable, warm, elegant and beautiful. I would love to help you achieve your beautiful space!
Email me at lisa@lisagouletdesign.com or if in the Ottawa area call me at 613-762-0818.
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment