Thursday, August 12, 2010

SOMETHING NEW, SOMETHINGS OLD…..

Okay I’ve finally done something with the vintage wallpaper samples from my cottage. Click here to read my previous post about the wallpaper sample book..

In June when hubby and I went to Vermont I coerced him into checking out some antique stores and a salvage yard.  I love to be inspired by the many different and unique items in those kind of stores – sort of like treasure hunting.  Anyways, I did find some treasures – three old skeleton keys and two antique iron trivets.  

IMG_1430 One trivet has a “M” initial for “Mom” and the other has two hearts back to back.  I thought they were so cute even though hubby said “What are you going to do with those?”  And even though I said that I had no idea – he knows me well enough to know that I would eventually find some way to use them.

Well, my next stop was Ikea to pick up some of their Ribba shadow boxes.

IMG_1431

I thought I would rummage through my fabric remnant pile or use some scrapbooking paper to back the keys and trivets.  But then I got to thinking about the vintage wallpaper samples I had and I decided to go through and see which one I could use as a background.  Well I decided on this one:

IMG_1432

Subtle but with enough of a pattern that it shows up and it would really showcase the black iron of the keys and the trivets. 

I did actually feel a twinge while I was cutting the page out of the book but I did it!! The paper is quite fragile so I made sure that the utility knife was good and sharp and I got it done without too much trouble.

IMG_1433

Here they are in progress.  I glued the wallpaper to the back of the frame and then hot glued the trivets and keys in place on the wallpaper.  Hopefully the hot glue is strong enough to hold everything in place – I’m sure I’ll find out soon enough if it isn’t!!

I placed the matting on top and fit everything back into the frame and voila!

IMG_1436

IMG_1440 IMG_1438 IMG_1439

I think they look great and I’ve put them on the small wall in my entrance way.

IMG_1446

IMG_1451

I know, I know I still haven’t gotten around to painting those closet doors or the powder room door black yet!  But it will happen, probably in the fall, when life gets back to normal.

IMG_1447

IMG_1448 I think they are the perfect way to say “Welcome!" 

I believe that every space can be comfortable, warm, elegant and beautiful. I would love to help you achieve your beautiful space!

Email me at lisa@lisagouletdesign.com or if in the Ottawa area call me at 613-762-0818.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment