Thursday, September 2, 2010

DARK WALLS – YES OR NO?

How do you feel about dark walls? 

There seems to be a trend lately to paint your walls dark colours – a welcome relief from all the beige walls that have been happening.

In my previous home I had navy blue on the bottom half of my walls in the hallway upstairs and downstairs.  This was tempered with a soft buttery yellow on the top half of the wall.  I loved it and left it far longer than I probably should have but it was great for hiding all the little wee fingerprints of four young children.

The drama of dark walls is always something I am drawn to and now in my current home I don’t have enough dark walls and I am so craving a new painting project….

Usually I recommend starting with some dark walls in a powder room as it makes a great statement and it’s not a room you usually spend much time in so it can be a way to gauge the waters on how you feel about a dark colour.

STP_0626trimThis is my powder room and as you can see the wallpaper is a dark charcoal gray.  It covers two of the walls and the other two walls and ceiling are painted in a soft warm gray. 

I recently did a colour consultation for a couple who embrace dark dramatic colours.  I can’t wait to see the final results – they were fearless and I think it will be spectacular.   

Gilded Chair
home design via Houzz
So dramatic – I am loving how the hit of metallic on the chair fabric just pops off the matte finish of the black paint on the walls.
dark blue and white eclectic entry
The navy walls showcases the fabulous shapes of the chair and table. 
Design*Sponge » Blog Archive » sneak peek: jean of eieio modern living room
I’m using this photo again as it showcases how dramatic navy can look with wood and white.
 
Dining Room contemporary dining room
Dining rooms are another place where dark walls are embraced as it is usually a place that you enjoy at night.  Isn’t this a gorgeous dining room? Dark gray walls with those dark wood floors -  love it!
DiningCdnH&HTedYarwoodMay08 Another gorgeous dark dining room!
 
Black Walls
home design via Houzz
And this stunning bathroom in black!!! 
 
 Nate Berkus, bedside
A fabulous dark brown bedroom by none other than Nate Berkus.
Black Walls
home design via Houzz
And I adore this black bedroom – but I have to admit I don’t know if I could live with it…  Could you???

I believe that every space can be comfortable, warm, elegant and beautiful. I would love to help you achieve your beautiful space!

Email me at lisa@lisagouletdesign.com or of in the Ottawa area call me at 613-762-0818.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment