Monday, November 1, 2010

ROMA, ROMA….

Well, I’m back and we had a fabulous time.  Rome is awe inspiring, especially when you come around a corner and there is the Pantheon or the Coliseum or some other ancient ruins…  It makes my heart go pitter patter because as a little girl I wanted to be an archaeologist and I still find it so interesting.

We had a beautiful hotel in Rome – right beside the Pantheon – I couldn’t believe the view! 

Here’s the view we had from our room - too bad about the scaffolding – but I guess every hundred or so years you have to do some maintenance….

IMG_1540

IMG_1542

And some pictures from inside.  This dome was built with concrete with an 43 metre diameter opening in 126 A.D. and has never been structurally altered isn’t that amazing!  It is the world’s largest unreinforced concrete dome and when it rains outside it rains inside too!

IMG_1575

And they poured it with these stepped squares to alleviate some of the weight of the concrete - this is obviously where coffered ceilings came into being!

IMG_1569

And here it is at night…so romantic..SIGH!!

IMG_1759

Hope you enjoyed this little bit of Rome. I’ll be posting some of the many, many, many pictures from our trip for the next while – so stayed tuned!

I believe that every space can be comfortable, warm, elegant and beautiful. I would love to help you achieve your beautiful space!

Email me at lisa@lisagouletdesign.com or if in the Ottawa area call me at 613-762-0818.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment