Wednesday, July 21, 2010

ARTIST PROFILE – LEN DAVIS

Awhile back I was approached by Len Davis to see what I thought about his artwork.  Well, after checking out his website and admiring his thought provoking imagery I decided to do a post on his work.

Effects_of_Actions

This one is my favourite and it conjures up lots of different feelings.  It is from Len’s series called The Karma Island and is entitled Effects of Action.

“This series explores the individual, hence island, on how our actions affect others and us in the end. Also, how our actions come with a price which comes back to haunt you when you do harm to others and with a self-serving agenda. The islands symbolizes, the individual, while the explosions signify the bad karma that finally caught up to us in the end.”

Coming_to_Past

Another one from the same series called Coming to Past. 

Here’s Len’s statement on his work:

“I have eclectic taste. That’s why I’m so fascinated by the usage of mixed media and collage. I like these mediums because of the outcome of combining several elements, creating various textures and color to evoke a thought and mood in the stories I tell. It’s like a pizza with everything on it. Once you take that first bite, you’re inundated with flavor. And that’s what I strive for in my work.
I work with assemblage, collage, mixed-media and works on paper. I use lots of found objects, drawings, print outs, text usage, graphite, color pencil, gouache, acrylic, pastel, etc. My pieces deal with life itself, i.e., the people we are, what we create, our capabilities and the issues with which we deal. My premise is to lure the viewer in. Once they’re in, they will be placed in a position to reflect on and question their ethics, be it disquieting or placid.”

Len does assemblage, collage, installation, works on paper & custom commissions.  He has been exhibited nationally in galleries and museums.  He designed shirts for the Gap (RED) artist series and he rents and/or sells his work to set designers for TV shows such as CSI – Las Vegas, Two & A Half Men, Without a trace, Six Feet Under, L-Word, ER, etc…

This one is from his series A Thousand Words.

 1000_Words18

A thousand words #18.

Here’s one of his current works entitled Inevitable Substance.

Inevitable_Substance

Thanks Len for letting me feature you! Click here to visit Len’s website.

I believe that every space can be comfortable, warm, elegant and beautiful. I would love to help you achieve your beautiful space!

Email me at lisa@lisagouletdesign.com or if in the Ottawa are call me at         613-762-0818.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment