Sunday, January 9, 2011

CHANDELIER INSPIRATION…..

When I was sourcing a chandelier for my living room I happened upon one from Restoration Hardware that I fell in love with. Here it is…

IMG_1482 

It is called the Foucault's Iron Orb Chandelier and I love the openness and rustic nature of it.  Plus, it wouldn’t collect or show dust as much as other chandeliers might! That makes me very happy because I’m not too keen on dusting lights.  Unfortunately for me, the chain that was included was not long enough for my 17’ ceilings and it wasn’t possible to get an extension. 

This started a search for one like it, that would work and while searching I discovered that this type of light was inspired by an gyroscope. 

A what??? I had heard this term before but went on a search for it’s exact description. 

“A gyroscope consists of a spinning mass, mounted so its axis of rotation can change. Examples include toys such as spinning tops and powerballs. Gyroscopic effects are also key to things like yo-yo's and frisbees. We are not regularly exposed to the gyroscopic effect and its motion so gyroscopes can seem strange and weird. There are many myths surrounding their motion such as they are anti-gravity devices, but if we let go of a gyroscope whilst holding one it will of course obey the laws of gravity and fall to the floor.”  http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~hemh/gyroscopes/htmlgyroscopes.html

gyroscope                      A gyroscope

Gyroscope - Wikipedia

Then I also discovered that these types of lights were also inspired by an armillary sphere.  Here’s a description of armillary spheres:

“An armillary sphere (variations are known as spherical astrolabe, armilla, or armil) is a model of the celestial sphere, consisting of a spherical framework of rings, centred on Earth, that represent lines of celestial longitude and latitude and other astronomically important features such as the ecliptic. As such, it differs from a celestial globe, which is a smooth sphere whose principal purpose is to map the star constellations.”  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armillary_sphere

 
 Armillary sphere
 Armillary sphere in Sandro Botticelli 1480's painting                 Armillary sphere in Sandro Botticelli 1480's painting
You see these armillary spheres now often used as decorative pieces in dens, etc… 
 
So these two items were inspiration for the type of lighting that I had my heart set on.  I also found these images of the lights that I loved.
KitchenLab traditional kitchen
via Houzz Rebekah Zaveloff, KitchenLab & Design in a Bag
 

Armillary sphere chandelier

Armillary Sphere Chandelier

And here is the one that I finally decided upon! 

3459228-OS                Solaris Olde Silver Chandelier

It’s more refined and lighter in colour than the original one that I was looking at, which turned out to be perfect and I have to admit I love the crystal ball hanging from the bottom.

Isn’t it interesting to find the inspiration behind some of the items that end up in our homes?  Is there a piece of furniture that you’ve wondered where the idea came from?  Post a comment and I’ll see if I can find it’s original inspiration source.

I believe that every space can be comfortable, warm, elegant and beautiful. I would love to help you achieve your beautiful space! Email me at lisa@lisagouletdesign.com or if in the Ottawa area call me at 613-762-0818.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment