Monday, January 3, 2011

RESOLUTIONS, SOLUTIONS……

I hope you all had a fabulous holiday and are feeling rested and refreshed.  January usually brings lots of new year’s resolutions for getting fit and for de-cluttering.  I can’t really help with the getting fit part – Lord knows I struggle with that myself! But here’s some solutions to get a closet, a room or your entire home in order.

1. Start with a small area – maybe the one that bothers you the most.  If you start with something that is very visible or that you use often, you will feel wonderful once it’s done and be motivated to carry on to the rest of the room or house.

2. To stay motivated you need to make it a habit.  So, for example, try to sort through your mail as soon as you bring it home.  Make the decision right then and there what you need to keep, toss or action later. 

Pottery Barn Daily System

This is the daily system from Pottery Barn.  There a calendar, a white board, holders for magazines and mail, and various bulletin boards.  You just choose the pieces you want to keep you and the family organized.  This one is great if you have more vertical than horizontal space.  There are all kinds of these systems around – so keep your eyes open for the one that suits you. 

3. Do one area at a time – don’t get pulled into another space.  Keep focused and continue until the one room or closet is completed.

4. Set a realistic time limit – maybe you have an hour, so tackle the boots and shoes in the hall closet and then next day you can do the coats and scarves. 

5.  With a large area or room – have five different boxes or bags.  Label them – TO KEEP IN ROOM - STORE SOMEWHERE ELSE – CHARITY – TOSS and REPAIR.  Once they are filled, take care of the boxes or bags quickly.  I load the charity items in my vehicle and then next time I’m out I drop them off.  You won’t miss them I promise, and someone else will be thankful for your generosity.

6.  Move items to the place where you use them the most, for example, put umbrellas in the hall closet or in an umbrella stand near the front door.

Two’s Company Owl umbrella stand

This cute owl stand is from Amazon.com

7.  Try to be ruthless with regards to your clothing. The familiar rule of “if you haven’t worn it in a year then you aren’t going to wear it” , holds true with one exception - formal wear.  I make four different piles for my closet as well – TO KEEP, TO REPAIR OR ALTER, TO GIVE AWAY and TO TOSS.  Again action the items quickly so there is no second guessing…..

This closet organization system is from Rubbermaid Configurations.  I used this system in my own closet and I love it. Now hubby wants his done as well.  You can move it around as needed, for example, if you need more shelf space in the winter for sweaters, you just add them on the frame and remove them in spring when you want more hanging space. 

8.  If you are still feeling overwhelmed maybe it’s time to ask a well organized friend for help or hire a professional organizer or decorator.  You won’t regret it. 

I believe that every space can be comfortable, warm, elegant and beautiful. I would love to help you achieve your beautiful space! Email me at lisa@lisagouletdesign.com or if in the Ottawa area call me at 613-762-0818.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment