Monday, May 30, 2011

PERGOLA OR SCREEN?

As I mentioned, we are finishing off our backyard this summer.  The dining patio is done and we are doing up the plans for the deck which will eliminate all the grass from our backyard.  My hubby is thrilled with this, as he is allergic (yes, seriously) to grass and now he'll only have the side and front to mow.


So I've been looking for inspiration for either a pergola or at least a screen for our hot tub and we'll match it on the other side of the deck with something similar for the BBQ area.  Hubby wants something with some sort of roof to keep the rain off him if he is barbecuing in the rain.


Here's some options.
Lorraine Vale traditional patio
via Houzz -  charleston interior designer LORRAINE G VALE

I like this one but we'd do it in a natural stain or leave it to go gray - not into having any maintenance as we also have a cottage.  We would like to keep the sides open but somehow block some of the wind.  Maybe we'll use some sort of material such as glass or plexiglass for this.
My concern with the pergola is that the hot tub is close to the house (and one of the windows) and I don't want the pergola to block the view from the house or the light from the window.  


I also found some interesting screen designs from Yardistry.




I really like this type of screen but I would have a one sided screen as the hot tub cover opens towards the back, so it wouldn't work as a two sided one.  It would give some privacy and help with the nasty wind we get in the back, but it still isn't a solid wall.


Then, there is also these pergolas from Yardistry.  I am always drawn to the "X" design.





Now, for complete fantasy land here's some other spectacular pergolas.

All-Tex mediterranean patio
via Houzz - austin general contractor All-Tex

This next one has a totally European feel.  Love those vines but not great for over a hot tub.

Pickering contemporary exterior
via Houzz -  san francisco architect John Lum Architecture, Inc. AIA

And for a completely Mediterranean dream....

Appleton & Associates Inc. Architects contemporary patio
via Houzz -  appleton-architects.com

Decisions, decisions........








I believe that every space can be comfortable, warm, elegant and beautiful. I would love to help you achieve your beautiful space!  

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment