Friday, May 6, 2011

GUEST ROOM CONTINUED...UPHOLSTERED HEADBOARD

My upholstered headboard is done, with my hubby's help.  YEAH!!  This one was my inspiration.
                                          Collette Bed - Crate & Barrel

I haven't had a chance to buy upholstery tacks to finish it off yet.  But now that it's done, I'm not sure if I will do the upholstery tacks.  Decisions, decisions.....

I was a bad blogger and didn't take any photos while we were doing it but if you want more detailed instructions, Dabble (Kimberley Seldon's new online magazine) this month also had  an article showing how to make an upholstered headboard.  (Click on the dabble link above and go to page 54).

Our finished headboard was for a queen size bed so I choose to make it 64"w x 30"h x 2"d (I did hang it a couple of inches below the top of the mattress).  I didn't want it to be too high as the bedroom is not large and I didn't want it to overpower the room.

Here's what I used:

1.  Plywood 4 x 8 sheet, cut to size - I had Home Depot cut it for me into a 64" x 30" piece before I even left the store.  Then my hubby and I made a gentle curve on a sheet of paper half the size of the headboard itself and then drew it on one side of the plywood and then reversed the pattern so that it was the same on the other side.  The plywood was only about $6.  I used the 1/4"thick plywood (I didn't want it to be too heavy) but you may want to use the  thicker one at 1/2"

2.  Foam -  2" thick at least.  This was the most expensive piece, mine was around $95 but I do have some leftovers.

3.  Batting - This is regular craft batting but in a size large enough to cover the entire headboard.  It was about $20.

4.  Fabric - This was my big steal on this project.  I purchased it from Robert Allen online, in their clearance section.  It was $55/yd originally and I scooped it up for just over $13/yd.  It took only 2 yds because I railroaded the fabric.  Railroading a fabric means that I was able to turn the bolt on end and roll out the fabric from left to right, the pattern was continuous across the roll.  It depends on your pattern and the pattern's repeat if you can do this successfully.

5.  Staple gun and staples.  I have an electric stapler which is very handy for this type of job but a regular staple gun will work just as well.

6.  Spray glue to hold foam in place on plywood while you work.   I already had some from a previous project.

7.  2 pairs of cleats to attach the headboard to the wall (approx $10).  Find the wall studs first within the space where you want the headboard to be installed and then make sure they are level and attach the first piece to the wall.  Then you match these up with the second piece to be placed on the headboard itself.  Worked like a charm.  

So the total for my headboard was about $160.  Not too bad for a custom headboard!

TA DA!




I kind of like the simplicity of it without the nail heads.   Next up, I'll be making a tailored bedskirt with some of the same Robert Allen fabric to mimic the look of the inspiration shot.


I believe that every space can be comfortable, warm, elegant and beautiful. I would love to help you achieve your beautiful space!  

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment